Technologies have been an integral part of society for as long as humans have had the desire to create solutions to improve their own and others’ quality of life. Technologies have an impact on people and societies by transforming, restoring and sustaining the world in which we live.
Australia needs enterprising and innovative individuals with the ability to make discerning decisions concerning the development, use and impact of technologies. When developing technologies, these individuals need to be able to work independently and collaboratively to solve open-ended problems. Subjects in the Technologies learning area prepare students to be effective problem-solvers as they learn about and work with contemporary and emerging technologies.
During the Middle Years at Good Shepherd, digital technology continues to form an integral part of student learning with Information Technology (IT) taught for a semester a year (two terms) for students in Years 6 to 8. For students in Year 9, IT is an elective subject.
IT topics include:
- Introductory Programming– Using Scratch
- Audio and Video Design – Using Audacity, Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe After Effects
- Computing Fundamentals – Covering hardware, software, programming languages and the future of technology
- 3D Modelling and 3D Printing – Using 3dsMax and 3D Printers
- Intermediate Programming – Using Python
- Game Design – Using Unity 3D and C#
- Microcontrollers and Electronics – Using Arduino and C++ Programming
- App Design – Using MIT App Inventor and Java